Public Health
in Germany

Having public health insurance in Germany, which covers you in case of illness or accident and provides health treatment and assistance, is mandatory.

If you start working for a company and you earn between 538€ and  5 750€  gross per month, you must have a public health insurance.

As an employee, you need to select and affiliate with a public health insurance company (Krankenkasse). You can easily and efficiently do this through us at no additional cost.

Once you receive the confirmation note from the health insurance company, you need to communicate the insurance number to your employer.

Ready to Find the Best Health Insurance?

Contact Bramex today to compare rates and benefits from various Krankenkassen and secure the perfect public health insurance for you, with no additional cost!

Public Insurance Companies and Rates

Several public insurance companies offer different rates and benefits, including medical, dental, and hospital treatments, and additional accessories like wheelchairs or hearing aids. 

The rates for public health insurance are quite similar across companies, averaging around 16.2% of the gross salary.

Cost Breakdown:

Employee Contribution: 8,10% of the gross salary.

Employer Contribution: 8,10%, of the gross salary.

The health insurance payment is made monthly and is deducted from your salary. It appears on your payroll alongside other fees like unemployment and pension contributions.

Saving Money on Health Insurance

You can save up to €30 per month, depending on your salary and chosen health insurance company.

The average monthly contribution is about 16.2% of your gross salary, with the cheapest insurance at 14.90% and the most expensive at 16.59%.


Questions and Answers

I am starting to work, is it mandatory to get public health insurance (Krankenkasse)?

YES, in Germany, when you start working for an employer and your job exceeds €520 gross per month, you are required to affiliate with a public health insurance company.

If your gross salary is between €538 and €5775, you must have public insurance. However, if your salary is above €5775 gross/month, you have the option to join private insurance instead, which offers higher coverage at a lower cost than public insurance.

We divide this question into two groups:

I have an EU passport:

If you come from an EU country and do not have a job, you will need the E104 document from your country of origin (or the country where you have lived for the last year and a half). This document ensures that you have had state insurance coverage for the last year and a half. Without this document, the Krankenkasse will not consider your application. If you start working, you will not need this document.

I have a non-EU passport:

To join any state insurance, you will need an active visa of at least twelve months. Without this requirement, it will be very difficult to continue the process. If you don’t have a visa for that period, you can enter the insurance system if you have a job exceeding €520 gross per month or opt for a temporary private insurance (up to five years) to get the visa, and once you have the visa, you can switch to state insurance and cancel the private one.

If you are married, you can include your spouse in your insurance at no extra cost. You will need to present a marriage certificate and fill out an application to include your spouse. This also applies to children, and you will need to present the family book. However, partnerships are not considered for insurance purposes.

Basic coverages like seeing a general practitioner, specialist, or hospitalization are covered by all insurers. However, there are small variations in specific treatments. For example, one insurer may offer better cancer prevention treatments while another may provide better dental or alternative medicine treatments. Prices also vary between insurers, meaning you can save monthly.

YES. Once you are in the state system, you can only leave if you leave Germany (by presenting the Abmeldung from the city hall). When you stop working, your employer informs the insurer, and the insurer usually sends you a letter to update your situation. Ignoring these letters can lead to accumulating debt. Always respond to the insurer’s letters to avoid being charged the highest rates.

YES, but you need to have been with your current insurer for at least 12 months. You can switch insurers if you change employers or if your current insurer announces a rate increase.


You have the right to choose the most suitable insurance for you, even if your employer offers to manage it. It’s recommended to explore your options before contracting insurance.

If there is no break between jobs, you do not need to do anything. Your previous employer will deregister you from the insurer, and your new employer will register you. If there is a break, you need to cover the insurance costs during that time. If you are entitled to unemployment benefits, the employment agency usually pays the insurance contributions.

Yes, you can change health insurers when changing employers. Look for a new insurer that offers better services or is more economical without needing a notice period.

Affiliate Partners of Bramex

The advantage of contracting the insurance through us:

  • Focus on other topics while we handle the insurance process

  • Annual updates in English about regulatory changes and new offers

  • Access to second opinions on any insurance-related issues.

  • Free services

contratar seguro medico alemania
We have a digital line with health insurance companies, enabling us to transmit your data automatically to your chosen company.

Simplify Your Health Insurance Selection!

Let Bramex guide you through the process of choosing the best public health insurance in Germany. Enjoy expert advice, annual updates, and hassle-free digital processing.