Private health insurance
Private health insurance in Germany
Private health insurance offers the option of choosing from a large number of tariffs, depending on the individual situation. You can design private health insurance so that it is either cheaper than statutory health insurance or offers significantly more coverage than statutory health insurance at similar costs.
Private health insurance therefore offers a high degree of flexibility and can adapt to your particular life situation.
I got a salary raise. I now earn over EUR 5362 gross per month. Can I now switch to private health insurance?
Basically yes. It is important that this year with the increase in salary (i.e. your previous salary and the new salary) you will come to over EUR 64,350 gross. If this is not the case, then you will have to wait until next year. A change to private health insurance is then possible on January 1st of the next year. Please note that you have a notice period of 2 months in the statutory health insurance. This means that you must have sent the cancellation to the statutory health insurance 2 months before the desired changeover date.
Yes, it can be cheaper than statutory health insurance. The contribution in private health insurance essentially depends on three factors:
- Your age at the time of contracting a private health insurance
- of the insurance company and the tariff you choose (e.g. high or reduced insurance coverage and high or low contribution at retirement)
- Your state of health at the moment of switching to private health insurance
You can fill out the form on this page. We will calculate offers tailored to your needs and get in touch with you.
Private health insurance is better on the following general points:
- Significantly higher coverage in the dental treatment (genearl dental treatment, dentures, teeth cleaning)
- You can choose from a larger number of doctors and hospitals (this can be an advantage when you need a psychotherapy, or suffering an especially severe and rare diseases)
- In some cases, private health insurance pays for certain treatments that statutory health insurance does not provide or only to a limited extent (e.g. private health insurance may pay for fertility treatments while the statutory insurance does not pay (for unmarried couples) or pay only a certain number of treatments.
This depends on the company and the tariff you choose. If you don’t submit invoices, you’ll usually get a certain amount refunded every year. This can be from 200 EUR to 1,000 EUR and more.
In this case, your spounse can usually choose whether he or she wants to affiliate in the statutory insurance or be privately insured. If your spouse chooses private health insurance, your employer may also cover half of the insurance costs. This depends on how much your employer contributes already to your health insurance. The employer has a maximum of EUR 453 available per month, to pay for private health insurance.
Example: You have a private health insurance for EUR 500 per month. You get EUR 250 (50% of the total costs) from the employer. In this case, your partner would also receive part of the private health insurance (maximum 50% of the premium) from your employer. For example, if your spouse’s private health insurance costs EUR 420, your employer would pay EUR 203 of the EUR 420. On the other hand, your employer does not share the costs of your spouse’s statutory health insurance. This is only possible with a private health insurance.
If you would like an exact calculation, please fill out the form on our page. We will then contact you and advise you free of charge.